Monday, December 14, 2009

Decorating the Christmas Tree

Yesterday afternoon we put on the Christmas music, broke out the egg-nog and nutmeg and decorated our Christmas tree. Our four kids, their best friend next door, my Dad and stepmother, and Scott and I worked together to trim our tree, hang the stockings and position the nativity scene.

It was both a fun and overwhelming experience. My living room really isn't very big. And, have you noticed how much smaller your house feels when an 8 foot real Christmas tree occupies the corner and all the furniture has been shifted around? Now imagine four adults standing among five excited children, with smiles from ear to ear, swarming around the tree until every last ornament is placed. And in the background, to make things just a little bit more nostalgic, we played the Chipmunks Christmas Album. It was an absolute frenzy for about 15 minutes...and then it was quite again as they scampered off to play hide and seek with one another. It was a Christmas tsunami that left my living room looking both disastrous and beautiful. Once we put away the empty ornament boxes and swept up the pine needles that had been knocked off the tree, I couldn't believe how warm and festive my home felt from corner to corner.

I'm not a fan of winter, but it's really nice to have such a wonderful holiday to look forward to right when the weather turns cold and days become so short.

My Health Journal
Tonight I had half a steak, steamed green beans, potatoes for dinner (+ a raspberry turnover for dessert :$). After dinner I helped my girls with their homework, watched a little bit of "The Flintstones" with them and then put them to bed. After working for about 1 hour on a communication brief I completed a weight routine focused on my hamstrings, quadriceps and calves. I also completed a series of sit ups to work my abdomen.

How is everyone else doing with Christmas preparations and personal health and fitness?

3 comments:

  1. Tree is up, lit and just hours-ago decorated. Cookies have been slightly over-cooked, to dissuade me from eating too many... :^|

    It's hard to believe Xmas is just around the corner, with such a warm start to winter. Sounds like you're right on track for a great one in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have seen a tree decorated so quickly. I was still wondering what happened and it was over. Our tree ceremony used to take hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for these comments and stories :)! I've been really enjoying the spirit of Christmas these past few days.

    ReplyDelete