Sunday, December 6, 2009

Junk Drawer Confessions

How many of you out there have a junk drawer that keeps collecting more and more junk until one day you can't even open it to throw more junk in? And, how many of you carry the stress of being discovered...wondering if one day one of your guests will stumble upon your crazy junk drawer. The fear you have...knowing that every day that junk drawer exists, is another day that your reputation for being such a well put together and organized individual is put at risk.

Do you ask yourself almost on a daily basis...What will it take to get me motivated to empty out this ridiculous drawer and get organized? Oh - I know you have one. Everyone's got a deep dark secret...drawer. You know it.

Okay...this blog post was inspired by a Twitter friend (@mlanger) who recently cleaned out her junk drawer and shared ever last detail of it in her blog post. I can relate completely.

Last week, while cooking one of my healthy recipes, I had such a hard time finding the right spices. Why? Because my spice drawer was scary scary place to visit. Anyway, I'm very proud to say that I took the time to clean out that spice drawer that day and it felt good. Sometimes I just open those drawers to look at how beautifully organized they are--finally. It's a very small thing...but also very rewarding.
Here are some pictures of newly organized spice drawers :).


Unfortunately, the spice drawers aren't the only drawer in my house. And, if you were to inspect every drawer in my house...you'd find that 75% of them probably could use a major re haul.

With four kids running around the house, I find it impossible to keep my drawers organized. Can you moms out there relate to this---or am I completely alone? I'm constantly picking up toys, folding clothes and trying desperately to keep the house looking clean and organized. One of my most employed techniques is what I call the "grab and stash".  This is the practice of grabbing any object that shouldn't be in sight...and stashing it inside any drawer that's within reach. The unfortunate side effect of this technique is the guilt associated with knowing that although your house may appear pretty organized...deep down inside you're a mess.

I'd love to hear your Junk Drawer confessions. Am I alone here?



No comments:

Post a Comment