Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 3 - How Do You Keep Motivated?


Okay, it's day 3, and almost 10:00 pm and I'm exhausted. I've eaten well today and weighed myself 5 minutes ago--I'm at 161.6 lbs after dinner. I'm not feeling very energetic at all at the moment...and I think I might take the night off from working out.  That's okay because I've worked out three days in a row already - it's time for a break.

Note to self: Tomorrow, I promise myself that I'm going to pop the Gillian Michaels "Banish Fat. Boost Metabolism" DVD into the player and complete my first cardio workout in months. I'll let you know how it goes. O_o

For dinner tonight I served "Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin" from www.realsimple.com, rice and carrots. Here is the recipe for the pork: 

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder or ground coriander
  • 2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins

Directions

  1. Mix together the juice, honey, olive oil, soy sauce, and Chinese five-spice powder in a large, shallow dish. Pat tenderloins dry and turn to coat in marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight. While pork is marinating, make the fruit sauce.
  2. Lightly coat clean grids of grill with cooking oil spray. Heat grill to medium heat. Place tenderloins across grids and close lid. Cook 5 minutes, covered, then turn tenderloins on their sides. Cook another 5 minutes, turning again every 5 minutes until all 4 sides of the tenderloins are seared (for a total of 20 minutes).
  3. Transfer tenderloins to a cutting board and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Let rest 5 minutes. Slice tenderloins crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Arrange on plates. 
When your mind and body feels exhausted (but you know it's just in your head), what motivates you to get changed into your workout clothes and start a routine? How do you get past that desire to curl up on the couch with a warm cozy blanket, at box of after-eights and an episode of House, Grey's Anatomy, The Good Wife or Dexter? 

Anxiously awaiting any tips, tricks or advice from readers out there who know what I'm talking about.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a yummy recipe! I will try it this weekend for sure!!

    Now my healthy tip for you. Always eat your fruit 10-20 minutes before a meal. Never after you eat. Have dessert but 1 1/2- 2 hours after your meal. I always have dessert with a peppermint tea. Your plate should consist of more vegetables than meat.

    Don't forget to drink your water!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri - Thanks for the healthy eating tips. It's encouraging to hear from readers. :)
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are having trouble getting motivated to work out, here are two tips that have worked for me:

    1) Once you are already settled in at home, you're less likely to go to the gym and much more likely to succumb to the urge to pass out on the couch. So, pack a gym bag containing your workout gear and sneakers and leave it in the trunk of your car. Head straight to the gym after work and get your exercise in before heading home.

    2) Join a class / exercise routine that meets on a regular schedule. The more you go (and enjoy the workout), it's likely you'll make friends and feel accountable for attending. If your workout is tied to a social activity, it not only makes it more fun, but will also motivate you to get up and go on those days when you are super exhausted.

    I hope these tips help, Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two VERY helpful tips. Thanks Rescue Baker! :) I think last week was a tough one for me because I got the flu shot. But, I'm motivated again. In fact...I've got my workout stuff on right now and am heading downstairs to do a workout right now.

    One of my motivator's right now is my blog. If I write that I'm going to work out...I absolutely feel like I must. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific! And, yes, the blog is a great way to stay "accountable!" Enjoy your workout...

    ReplyDelete