Sunday, November 22, 2009

Launching My Journey Toward a Healthier Me

I woke up this morning having no idea that today, I would start this daily journal/blog. And, it's not a particularly good day for me to start this journey toward eating more healthily, working out and having a positive attitude. In fact, I woke up with a sore throat and am feeling pretty frumpy at the moment. But, then again, I don't think any day is better then the next to make a positive life change. So lets not waste anymore time Suzan!
Okay, so here are my 3 goals.
  1. Eat healthy food and reasonable portions. My aim is to weigh 150 lbs! I'm a 36 year old, 5'11" tall woman. I bought a scale today and it's telling me that I weigh exactly 164 lbs. So I have 14 pounds to lose. That doesn't seem so bad.
  2. Workout 5 times each week.  And, balance the workouts between weight lifting and cardio! I want leaner legs and stomach.
  3. Write this journal everyday for 1 year!
Let's see how I do. Toward goal 1 - I'm going to have a healthy chicken stir-fry tonight for dinner. And, toward goal 2, I'm going to do the 'legs' workout from the book "Body for Life".

Here is the recipe for the "Sauteed Chicken and Peppers with Coconut Rice" meal I will eat tonight from www.realsimple.com


Ingredients
1  cup  long-grain white rice
1  14-ounce can coconut milk
1  tablespoon  plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2  pounds  boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
Kosher salt and pepper
1  large red bell pepper, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1  large clove garlic, thinly sliced
1  19-ounce can black beans, drained
1/4  teaspoon  ground cumin 

Preparation
Cook the rice according to the package directions, replacing 1 cup of water with the coconut milk.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and move to the sides of the skillet. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened and the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual plates and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the beans, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining oil. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with the chicken and rice.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a kid friendly, healthy meals that can be made in 30 minutes or less? One of my biggest challenges is getting supper on the table quickly enough so that I have enough time after supper to help my daughter's with their homework (before bedtime)!

No comments:

Post a Comment