Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 4 - Family Matters

Today, I managed to get myself and both my girls vaccinated for H1N1 through our family doctor. I thought my doctor's office handled the process extremely well. They were organized and prepared. I lined up at 12:00 and by 12:15 we had all received our shots. Isn't that unheard-of?

Chloe, one of my twin girls, was extremely brave. She sat down, prepared herself for the needle and accepted it without hesitation. She paid attention to the sensation but didn't complain or shed any tears. She was very pleased with herself when it was over. For a six year old, sometimes she seems so adult to me.

The experience for Amelie was completely different. She seemed brave up until she witnessed me receiving the shot. I payed really close attention to the sensation of the needle because I wanted to feel exactly what my daughters were going to feel. And, truthfully, it didn't hurt one little bit. It was completely painless for me. I just smiled at Amelie as it was happening and I told her that it really didn't hurt. So, when Amelie started to panic, I was surprised. She struggled and fought the nurse and me - absolutely determined not to get the needle. It was a horrible feeling to have to hold her tightly in my arms to force her to receive the shot. And, in a moment it was over and Amelie admitted that it didn't really hurt very much..."Just a tiny pinch". Thank goodness. I'm glad that's over.

Scott's boys, Preston and Cole, very bravely accepted their vaccinations last Friday. Their mother works at a clinic so she was able to get them vaccinated without too much trouble either. Both boys were very brave and didn't shed any tears.

So, we are six in our family and we've all been vaccinated except for Scott. He'll be going sometime during the day tomorrow...and I'm pretty sure he'll handle the experience without too many tears :). So, even though as I sit here typing this blog, I can feel a dull ache in my left upper arm, I have to admit, the whole experience was really quite painless compared to the horror stories we'd been hearing on the news.

Kudos to the staff at my family's doctor's office for taking on the responsibility to vaccinate their clients. We certainly appreciated it!

Today, my weight is 160.1 lbs and for supper I had a large salad with radishes, avocado, cashews, carrots and left over pork tenderloin. For dessert, I enjoyed Chloe's chocolate chip rice crispy squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment